Paws & Pages Club
Length: 60 Minutes
Program Runs: Twice a month June, July & August
Day: First and third Tuesday of every month
Time: 10:00-11:00 am
Description: The 2021 summer reading theme is “Tails and Tales”. At each meeting, a humane educator will read a pet-themed story aloud and ask questions to reinforce key concepts covered by the tale.
Goals: CHS’ Paws and Pages club is focused on cultivating children’s compassion and empathy for pets and people while emphasizing the importance of reading.
Pet Lovers Club
Length: 50 Minutes
Program Runs: Session 1: Feb.-June; Session 2: Sept.-Jan
Day: Last Tuesday of every month
Cost: $25 for the semester (5 sessions)*
Ages: 8-13 years old/Grades 3rd-8th – younger and older students are also welcome to sign up
Description: Once a month the Outreach Department will present a 50-minute interactive presentation with students from across Connecticut via Zoom Webinar. Titled Pet Lovers Club this after school program is a way for students interested in all types of pets to expand their knowledge in a small group setting and provide information that is tailored to their interests. This interactive club combines topics from CHS’ pet programs and expands that information to further educate and inspire a passion for pets in youth.
- Expand knowledge and awareness of the Connecticut Humane Society.
- Provide an interactive after school program focused on companion animals.
- Inspire youth who are interested in pets to take action and plan for their future.
- Individualize meeting lessons based on the interests of the club members.
- Allow open discussions on interests surrounding pets and inspire change.
- Complete projects to be donated to pets at CHS, other local rescue organizations or provide enrichment for pets at home.
Topics: Program topics will vary based on club member interests combined with staff knowledge. Possible interactive program topics may include, but are not limited to; Dogs, Cats, Rabbits, Birds, Enrichment, About CHS, Pet Professions, Pet Behavior, Basics of Training, Choosing the Right Pet, Cardboard Crafts, Spay and Neuter, Puppy Mills, etc.
*If you are experiencing a hardship that would prevent your family from participating, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.