What is the Pet Food Pantry Program?
Feed the family, or feed the family pet? Pay bills, or buy pet food? Facing financial difficulty doesn’t have to mean giving up your pet. The Connecticut Humane Society’s Pet Food Pantry Program provides cat and dog food to pet owners on a monthly basis while they get back on their feet. The goal of the program is to help keep pets in their homes and out of shelters. The Pet Food Pantry is available at all three CHS locations (Newington, Waterford, and Westport).
- Pet owners who wish to receive food from the Pet Food Pantry must submit an application along with proof of financial need, a recent photo of their pet(s), and proof of rabies vaccinations for their pet(s).
- The Pet Food Pantry does not have a means of delivering food. Once approved, clients will need to come to one of CHS’ three locations at the designated pick-up date and time to receive pet food.
- The Pet Food Pantry provides short-term assistance to those in need. In order to allow the program to help as many pets as possible, CHS is currently unable to provide food to any one family for more than two years. If approved, pet owners will be eligible to receive free pet food for six months. At the end of that period, they will be asked to complete a renewal application if they wish to continue their enrollment.
Need to Apply:
Please complete the online Pet Food Pantry Application. You will be asked to attach the following items to your application:
- Proof of Current Rabies Vaccination(s): all cats and dogs must be vaccinated per state law, even if they are indoor only
- Proof of Financial Need: a document dated for the current year showing proof of recent disability, SSI, SNAP, unemployment benefits, foreclosure, or low income status
- Pet Photograph: a recent, color photograph showing your pet’s full body
Upon submission, your application will be reviewed and you will receive the results by email in approximately 1 week. Please note that incomplete applications will not be processed.
How You Can Help:
- The Pet Food Pantry is always in need of cat or dog food and cat litter. Please consider making a donation to the Pantry.
- For an easy way to make a donation, consider making a purchase from the Amazon Wish List.
- The Pet Food Pantry is most in need of cat litter, Friskies or Purina cat food and Pedigree or Purina dog food. The Pantry is unable to accept open or expired food.
- Please contact 860-594-4500 or: email@example.com