Are you an animal lover with room in your heart and home for pets in need? Become a Connecticut Humane Society foster volunteer! You’ll temporarily care for CHS pets in your home until they’re ready for adoption. You provide the love and care. CHS provides everything you need to do that!
Check out this video to see first hand what it’s like to foster pets.
Foster volunteers must:
- Live in CT
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have active health insurance
- Have experience owning or caring for pets
- Have reliable transportation, a valid driver’s license and current auto insurance
- Be able to isolate foster animals from owned pets if required
- Keep all owned cats and dogs in the household current on rabies vaccinations and other recommended vaccines
- Be able to participate in the program for a minimum of six months
- Be able to follow verbal and written instructions
How do you get started?
Step 1: Check if the CHS location nearest you is currently accepting foster applications:
- CHS Newington is accepting foster applications.
- CHS Waterford is accepting foster applications.
- CHS Westport is only accepting applications for families who can foster adult cats or small animals (rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets, mice, etc.)
Step 2: Learn more about fostering pets by reading the Frequently Asked Questions about Foster Care.
Step 3: Watch the Virtual Open House video to learn more about becoming a CHS volunteer. This is a requirement before you apply.
Step 4: Watched the video? Liked what you saw? Fill out the foster application. Selected applicants will be invited to an interview.