Are you an experienced pet owner with room in your heart and home for pets in need? Become a Connecticut Humane Society foster volunteer!
You’ll temporarily care for CHS pets in your home until they’re ready for adoption. You provide the love and care. CHS provides everything you need to do that!
Foster pets are some of the most vulnerable, including those who are sick, injured, too young for adoption, or in need of extra socialization. Check out this video to see first hand what it’s like to foster pets.
Foster volunteers must:
- Live in CT
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have active health insurance
- Have experience owning or caring for pets
- Have reliable transportation
- Be able to isolate foster animals from your family pets in a spare room if required
- Provide a photo of the area in your home where you will be housing the pet
- Provide current rabies certificates and vaccination records for all pets currently residing in your home
- Be able to participate in the program for a minimum of six months
- Be able to follow verbal and written instructions
How do you get started?
Step One: Check if the CHS location nearest you is currently accepting foster applications:
- CHS Newington is accepting applications for all new foster families.
- CHS Waterford is only accepting applications for experienced pet owners who can foster adult dogs with medical or behavioral issues, adult cats who are pregnant, nursing a litter or waiting on a medical procedure (such as a dental cleaning) or families with experience owning rabbits and other small animals (guinea pigs, hamsters, ferrets, mice, rats, etc.). They especially need dog fosters who have no small children and no other pets in the home.
- CHS Westport is only accepting applications for families who can foster adult cats or small animals (rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets, mice, etc.)
Step Two: Learn more about fostering pets by reading the Frequently Asked Questions about Foster Care.
Step Three: Watch the Virtual Open House video to learn more about becoming a CHS volunteer. This is a requirement before you apply.
Step Four: Watched the video? Liked what you saw? Fill out the foster application. Selected applicants will be invited to an interview.