Are you an experienced pet owner with room in your heart and home for pets in need? Become a Connecticut Humane Society foster volunteer!
You’ll temporarily care for CHS pets in your home until they’re ready for adoption. You provide the love and care. CHS provides everything you need to do that!
Foster pets are some of the most vulnerable, including those who are sick, injured, too young for adoption, or in need of extra socialization.
Foster volunteers must:
- Live in CT
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have active health insurance
- Have experience owning pets
- Own your own home or provide written permission from your landlord to foster pets
- Have reliable transportation
- Be able to isolate foster animals from your family pets in a spare room if required
- Be able to provide a photo of the area in your home where you will be housing the pet
- Be able to participate in the program for a minimum of six months
- Be able to follow verbal and written instructions
How do you get started?
Step One: Learn more about fostering pets by reading the Frequently Asked Questions about Foster Care.
Step Two: Watch the Virtual Open House video to learn more about becoming a CHS volunteer. This is a requirement before you apply.
Step Three: Watched the video? Liked what you saw? Fill out the Foster Care Application. Selected applicants will be invited in for an interview.
CHS Newington is accepting applications for foster volunteers who can care for adult dogs or cats who are nursing a litter of puppies or kittens.
CHS Waterford is not accepting applications for new foster families at this time. Please check back at a later date.
CHS Westport is not accepting applications for new foster families at this time. Please check back at a later date.