The Connecticut Humane Society accepts a limited number of volunteers for its court-ordered community service program.
Court-ordered community service volunteers do not work with the pets. Their assignments may include janitorial duties such as picking up litter and pet waste, washing floors and windows, cleaning kennels, organizing supplies, washing dishes and laundry and other tasks as assigned.
This program is available for individuals who:
- Must complete mandatory community service hours for the judicial system
- Are at least 18 years old
- Have active health insurance
- Have reliable transportation
- Must complete at least 50 hours of required service
- Have at least six months to complete their service hours
- Are able to commit to a set schedule of at least two hours per week
- Meet the Essential Volunteer Capabilities
As part of the application process, candidates for this program must provide written documentation from the court verifying the crime for which they are completing service hours. Candidates must also provide two professional or personal references. References cannot be relatives.
Applicants must also submit to a background check. Background checks cost $12.50 and must be paid for by the applicant.
CHS will not accept individuals who have been convicted of the following crimes/offenses:
- Violent crimes
- Narcotics or controlled substance offenses
- Animal cruelty or neglect
- Sexual offenses
CHS is not able to accept all applicants into the program.
Selected applicants will need to attend an interview to determine eligibility for this program. CHS reserves the right to deny an applicant if they are deemed a poor fit for the organization.
Accepted volunteers must attend an orientation and training and are required to abide by all policies of CHS. CHS has the right to dismiss a volunteer from service at any time. Volunteers who successfully complete their service hours will be given a verification letter for court. To apply for CHS’ Court-Ordered Community Service program, please fill out the Court-Ordered Community Service Volunteer Application.