From strolling around town, to dog parks, to “pets welcome” stores, it’s a dog’s world. Here’s some quick tips to ensure your yappy stays happy:
- 5-second Rule: Limit your pup’s sniffing of another dog to 5 seconds. Nobody wants to be labeled a pushy party animal!
- Avoid letting your dog stare. Other dogs consider this a threat.
- Keep tabs on the space. Corners and crowding can overwhelm a pup.
- Don’t force friendships. If your dog is wary, that’s okay!
- If your dog has a retractable leash, keep it locked to 6’ or under.
- Remember: It’s OK to take a break! A minute away from the crowd can help your dog reset.
Watch for signs of stress. Look for these signs and take a break to keep your pup worry-free. Plus, then they won’t need to find a different way to tell you they’re nervous. Here are some common stress signs to watch for:
- scratching and/or licking
- head and tail held high
- bared teeth
- wrinkled lips
- showing the whites of his/her eyes
- barking and/or growling
- raised hair along the neck and/or back