Adopting a pet is good for you and the pet! In addition to giving a fresh start to a deserving pet in need, there are proven health and behavioral benefits to people who own pets AND you get to add a new member to your family.
Adoption counselors will help you match your lifestyle and preferences to the right pet. CHS staff and volunteers spend lots of time with the pets—learn their likes and dislikes, their funny sides and their silly sides, their little quirks, and so much more. And that means you’ll get lots of information on available pets to help find the best match.
Pets adopted from the Connecticut Humane Society have already been seen by the staff veterinary team, have a medical record, are current on age-appropriate vaccines, and are current on parasite preventatives. Cats and dogs are microchipped, and you receive an offer for a free trial of pet insurance. Your adoption fee will help pay for a portion of the medical, behavioral and daily care your pet received at CHS.
Plus, CHS is here to continue to support you and your pet. If you run into questions or problems, or just need your medical records reprinted, you can give us a call and the team will be glad to assist.
CHS accepts cash, debit card, MasterCard, Visa, American Express, and Discover.
Puppies up to 6 months: $445*
Dogs 7-12 months old: $275
Dogs 1-7 years old: $150
Dogs over 8 years old: $100
Kittens up to 6 months: $300
Cats 7-12 months old: $200
Cats 1-7 years old: $140
Cats over 8 years old: $80
Guinea pigs: $25
Lovebirds (in pairs): $50
Exotic Types: Market
Special Adoption Incentive Programs
Project Purrfect: Upon request, a $50 discount off the adoption fee for cats between 1-7 years old who have been available for adoption for 30 days or longer may be applied. Cannot be combined with any other adoption discount programs. This discount does not apply to the adoption of puppies, kittens, adolescents, seniors, small animals or birds.
Senior Citizen Discount: Upon request, a $20 discount off the adoption fee for a dog or cat between 1-7 years old for qualified adopters over 65 years old may be applied. Cannot be combined with any other adoption discount programs. This discount does not apply to the adoption of puppies, kittens, adolescents, seniors, small animals or birds.
The adoption fee includes:
- Consultation with an adoption counselor to help you select the best companion for your lifestyle
- Spay/neuter for all eligible dogs, cats and rabbits
- Flea/tick treatment and deworming
- Basic age-appropriate vaccinations including rabies vaccination for dogs/cats over 3 months old
- Completed medical care for most illnesses/injuries discovered during their stay
- Microchip implant, registration, and tag for dogs, cats and rabbits
- Cat and dog adopters are eligible for a FREE 30-day pet insurance policy. Some restrictions apply.
- Basic behavioral support after adoption
- Pet care information
Dog adoptions include:
- Heartworm testing (if 6 months or older)
- Collar and leash
- Temperament evaluation to help identify potential behavioral needs (if 6 months or older)
- Starter bag of Science Diet food (provided by Hills)
- Discounted rate on obedience classes offered at the Connecticut Humane Society
*For puppies up to 6 months, the $445 adoption fee includes training classes worth $95. Ask an adoption counselor for more information.
Cat adoptions include:
- Testing for FeLV (feline leukemia) and FIV (feline immunodeficiency virus)
- Stretch collar
- Cardboard carrier
- Starter bag of Science Diet food (provided by Hills)
Microchip implant, registration, and tag for dogs, cats and rabbits! Pets chipped by the Connecticut Humane Society will have a 24PetWatch brand microchip. For more information about this service visit: 24PetWatch.com
- Only about 14% of lost dogs and 4% of lost cats are reunited with their families. A microchip is another method of ID and links your pet back to you and increases your chances of reuniting with your pet if they are lost.
- A microchip is the size of a grain of rice and implanted by a veterinarian or trained medical professional.
- Registration of 24PetWatch chips is free from the Connecticut Humane Society.
- If your pet goes missing, call 24PetWatch at 1-866-597-2424 and choose the “lost pet” option.
Some pets come to CHS already chipped with a different microchip brand. At the time of adoption, the microchip is registered in the 24PetWatch microchip database, but we recommend that all adopters contact the microchip company (HomeAgain, ACKReunite, etc.) to register your contact information with the chip manufacturer. There may be a small fee to update this information with the chip manufacturer, but ensuring all contact information is current gives your pet the best chance of return if they are lost.
Pet Health Insurance
Cat and dog adopters are eligible to receive a complimentary 30-day 24PetWatch Gift Insurance Policy. In order to receive this insurance, adopters must provide their email address as part of the adoption process. For more information about this offer, what is covered, limits, etc., please visit 24PetWatch.com
- You’ll receive an activation code for the 30-day gift upon adoption of your pet.
- You will have 7 days to activate your policy.
- Illnesses that were symptomatic, noted or treated prior to the coverage effective date (the date of adoption) are considered “pre-existing” and are not covered.
- Your veterinary bill will need to be paid by you. After your appointment, you can submit a claim form to 24PetWatch and they will reimburse you directly if your claim is accepted.
The value of adopting a pet at CHS is priceless. The fees you would pay on the open market for similar services and benefits are significantly higher.